St. Ives is a small town located in the southwest of England. It is situated within the Cornwall Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB). The town has a population of approximately 10,000 people.
The town is most famous for its beaches, which are some of the best in the UK. It also has a number of other attractions, including:
- The Tate St. Ives: This world-renowned art gallery houses a collection of modern and contemporary art, with a focus on works by artists associated with St. Ives and Cornwall.
- The Barbara Hepworth Museum and Sculpture Garden: This museum is dedicated to the life and work of one of St. Ives’ most famous residents, Barbara Hepworth. It houses a large collection of her sculptures, as well as a number of her paintings and drawings.
- The Leach Pottery: This is the former studio of Bernard Leach, one of the most important figures in 20th century pottery. The studio has been preserved as it was when he worked there, and it now houses a small museum and gallery.
- The St. Ives Museum: This museum houses a collection of artifacts and displays relating to the history of St. Ives and its surrounding area.
- The St. Ives Lighthouse: This lighthouse is situated on the edge of the town and offers stunning views out over the sea. It is open to the public on certain days of the year.
- The Parish Church of St. Andrew: This church is the oldest building in St. Ives and dates back to the 12th century. It is open to visitors all year round.
Overall, there are plenty of things to see and do in St. Ives, Cornwall. From its picturesque harbor and sandy beaches to its abundance of art galleries, there is something for everyone in this charming seaside town.
In May 1944, a German torpedo attack sunk the SS Caribou, an oil tanker bound for Milford Haven in Wales. The ship was carrying 1,200 tons of fuel oil, and the resulting explosion caused widespread damage to the town. Thankfully, no lives were lost in the incident.
In recent years, St. Ives has become increasingly popular with tourists. In 2018, it was named one of the best places to live in the UK by The Sunday Times. This is largely due to its stunning setting, friendly community and abundance of things to see and do.
Whether you’re looking to relax on the beach, explore the town’s history and culture, or simply enjoy some of the best views in Cornwall, St. Ives is the perfect destination for your next holiday.